DONA Birth Doula Training
Research is clear that continuous emotional and physical support is making some of the most significant differences in labour and birth outcomes for mothers and babies.
The word "Doula" comes from the ancient Greek meaning "a woman who serves" and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during, and just after birth.
A Birth Doula
- Recognizes birth as a key experience the mother will remember all her life
- Understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labour
- Assists the woman in preparing for an carrying out her plans for birth
- Stays with the woman throughout labour
- Provides emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint, as well as helping the woman get the information she needs to make informed decisions.
- Facilitates communication between the labouring woman, her partner and her clinical care providers.
- Perceives her role as nurturing and protecting the woman's memory of the birth experience.
- Allows the woman's partner to participate at his/her comfort level
This dynamic and inspiring workshop is a Doula of North America (DONA International) approved course and offers the expertise of DONA International approved trainers. Focus is on the emotions and psychological processes associated with giving birth and the significance of childbirth in women's lives as well as building theoretical knowledge and teaching practical skills. For additional information regarding certification visit the DONA International website at: http://www.dona.org/
Coquitlam, Douglas College, David Lam Campus, 1240 Pinetree Way
Fee: $400 (includes a binder of course/resource materials)
Required Textbook: The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin, Fourth Edition
Instructors: Kathie Lindstrom & Jalana Grant
To register: phone 604.527.5472 or toll free 1.866.930.5472. There are no prerequisites.
Fri/Sat, Jan 24, 25
Fri/Sat, Apr 11, 12
Fri/Sat, Jun 6, 7
Fri/Sat, Oct 3, 4
Fri/Sat, Nov 14, 15