Disability and Applied Behaviour Analysis Advanced Citation Home
Jenna Widsten says the Disability and Applied Behaviour Analysis (DABA) Advanced Citation was a great stepping stone to help her achieve her educational goals. Read more...
If you're an education, health or human services professional, or if you have a degree or diploma and want to specialize in the rewarding and challenging area of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), the concise, flexible and timely Disability and Applied Behaviour Analysis (DABA) advanced certificate is for you. The DABA program is part of the laddered Classroom and Community Support Department.
- First post-diploma/degree credential of its kind west of Manitoba
- Approved by the Behavior Analyst Certification Board and the Teacher Qualification Service
- Required step for behaviour consultants and other professionals towards becoming Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB) ® Certified Assistant Behavior Analysts (BCaBA)
- Terrific option for K-12 teachers wishing to enhance their special education skills while working towards a higher pay level
- Credits earned can be used towards an Autism Concentration in the Bachelor of Community Rehabilitation program (in collaboration with the University of Calgary)
- Credits earned can be used towards a Psychology Major with Concentration in Applied Behaviour Analysis at Simon Fraser University
This 15-credit advanced certificate is completed in 1 year (2 courses per semester for 3 consecutive semesters).
Note: Bachelor degree students in third or fourth year are welcome to take DABA courses as a specialty or elective with prior approval from their degree advisors.
Why specialize in ASD and ABA?
The sharp increase in the number of people diagnosed with ASD (estimated at one-in-110 children in BC) has created a significant shortfall of qualified practitioners to plan and deliver effective evidence based education and treatment services in the community as well as specialized teachers in the K-12 school system. Applied Behaviour Analysis methodology can also be successfully incorporated into many other education, health and human service professions.
This 15-credit advanced certificate is designed to work around the busy schedule of working professionals and students. Courses are offered on evenings, weekends and online.
There are many career opportunities for graduates who have earned a degree and the Disability and Applied Behaviour Analysis Advanced Certificate, e.g. teaching, behaviour consultants, etc.
Well-trained behaviour consultants/behaviour analysts are in extremely high demand in BC, and certification is becoming increasingly important in virtually all ABA-related fields.
Teachers who possess this specialized knowledge will considerably increase their teaching and learning skill set. In addition, current K-12 teachers can use the Disability and ABA coursework to move toward a higher pay scale.
Child, Family and Community Studies programs, including the Disability and Applied Behaviour Analysis program are moving to the David Lam campus in Coquitlam in September 2012.
Before you apply, make sure you meet the program admission requirements - see the College Calendar for details.
All applications must be submitted by April 1 for the September start date. Apply online or in person through the Registrar's Office. Spaces are limited, so apply early!