English as a Second Language
Douglas College is a leader in ESL education for university and college students as well as foreign-trained professionals in Metro Vancouver.
Thank you for your interest in studying English as a Second Language at Douglas College. Our ESL program is currently full for the Fall 2013 and Winter 2014 semesters. We are not taking any applications for ESL at this time.
- Canadian citizens and permanent residents interested in studying in our ESL academic preparatory program.
This does not affect
- students interested in the Foreign Trained Professional (FTP) course. FTP students can still apply for the Winter 2014 offering of EASL 0635 at the Coquitlam David Lam campus. Students interested in the FTP course should email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
- international (visa) students
- students interested in the Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) program.
If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident interested in studying ESL at Douglas College in the future, please come back to this website after February 01, 2014 for more information.
ESL tuition fee update
Arabic, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Persian, Russian
Canadian citizens, permanent residents, live-in caregivers and refugees do not pay tuition fees for ESL courses. However, all students are still charged a variety of other fees, as outlined below:
- As credit students, all ESL students must pay Douglas College fees. These fees may include application fees, registration and services fees, Student's Union fees, student activity fees, U-Pass, DSU Health and Dental Plan, and/or other fees.
Students must also pay for textbooks.
Financial aid may be available for eligible students.
International students pay regular international tuition fees, as well as all other required fees, for all ESL courses.
Douglas College offers ESL courses at only the upper intermediate and advanced levels; Douglas College does not offer beginning or lower intermediate level ESL courses.
Douglas College's ESL Program is for students who want to study English for academic and career purposes.
Read more about our levels of study.
- Experienced instructors - all with Masters or Doctorate degrees
- Cutting-edge language labs and learning technology
- Trusted reputation for over 40 years
- English-only policy for ESL students
- Highly multicultural student population
- 2 full-service campuses featuring international student advisors, libraries, bookstores, computer labs, 24-hour security and more
Ways to study ESL
For students planning for university or college in Canada, Academic Preparatory ESL helps build the English-language skills you need for success. Students who successfully complete our highest level classes may qualify for a Certificate of Proficiency in College Preparatory English.
English for Foreign-Trained Professionals
Specially designed for professional immigrants, English for Foreign-Trained Professionals enables you to improve your speaking, listening and reading skills in order to enhance career opportunities.
Specialized ESL Immersion programs give you the opportunity to live, study and work in an all-English environment. New programs can be designed to meet the needs of businesses and institutions.
This TESL Canada Standard Two certified TESL program is designed for learners who wish to gain an overview of basic approaches to teaching English as a Second Language. The program is comprised of courses in teaching adult learners reading, writing, listening and speaking, pronunciation, grammar and sentence structure, multicultural issues, assessment, planning and evaluation. In addition, the program offers a supervised practicum. The courses and practicum all lead to a Douglas College Certificate of 15 credits.
Teaching ESL at Douglas College
To apply to teach ESL at Douglas College, please read the Instructor Application page.
PO Box 2503
New Westminster, BC
Canada V3L 5B2