Marketing underpins all aspects of our society - it's everywhere. As a result, there's a huge demand for creative, talented marketing professionals who can make a business or a product stand out.
This isn't a field where you can sit down and relax. You have to be forward-thinking, full of ideas and energy. But it's one of the most dynamic fields around, where enthusiasm and ambition backed up by solid analytical skills can be your ticket to success.
According to Service Canada, job prospects in Marketing, Sales and Advertising will continue to rise over the next ten years. Marketing is also an excellent field for self employment.
There are many diverse opportunities within the field. Douglas College's Marketing Program can help you prepare you for the following marketing careers:
- Market Research
- Public Relations and Promotions
- Marketing Assistant
- Marketing Coordinator
- Marketing Manager
- Brand Manager
- Retail Marketing
- Direct Marketing
- Internet Marketing
- Media Placement
- Creative copywriters
- Marketing Communications Specialists
- Event Marketing
- Financial Services Marketing
Joining a professional organization is a great way to forge the connections to land your first marketing job. Marketing Associations include:
- American Marketing Association - BC Chapter
- BC Association of Integrated Marketers
- Canadian Professional Sales Association
- Canadian Society for Marketing Professional Services
- International Association of Business Communicators
- Marketing Research and Intelligence Association
- Sales and Marketing Executives International
The most important step in launching a Marketing career is hands-on work experience. At Douglas College, you can earn while you learn. Marketing students are encouraged to complete at least one Co-operative Education work term to gain work experience.
Working part-time while taking the Diploma Program is another way of gaining work experience before you graduate.