Get the knowledge and skills you need to begin a career teaching English as a Second Language confidently here in Canada or around the world.
<-- Don't miss our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page!
This intensive 15-credit, one-semester TESL (TESOL) program at Douglas College will provide you with the practical knowledge and hands-on experience you need to teach English as a Second or Foreign Language to adults.
- In the six courses, you will receive the theoretical and practical knowledge you need (see below).
- In the 30-hour practicum, you will tutor real ESL students one on one, observe a variety of ESL classes and then be placed in a real ESL classroom, where you will receive individual guidance from a professional ESL teacher while you practice what you have been learning in the courses.
Observe and practice teaching in real ESL classes
- Learn what is involved in designing and delivering courses in addition to classroom management
- Develop an understanding of key principles of language teaching and tutoring
- Learn to use effective techniques for teaching speaking, listening, reading, and writing, as well as grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation
Prepare for a wide range of ESL and EFL career or volunteer opportunities
- Teach in private language schools and government sponsored language programs in Canada (most require TESL Certification) and a wide variety of settings overseas
- Tutor and lead conversation lessons here in Canada and abroad to individuals and small groups
- Teach and/or tutor new immigrants and refugees in local community centres and other non-profit organizations
If you also have a Bachelor's degree, you may be eligible for the TESL Canada Professional Certificate Standard Two. TESL Canada certification will increase the number and type of jobs available to you.
Be sure to click the FAQs page on the left-hand menu.
|When and Where?||
Winter 2014 (January 6 to April 12)
|How long?||13.5 weeks|
TESL Program Description
Phone: 604-527-5582, Office: 2608C (New Westminster)