At the Douglas College Foundation, we believe in the power of dreams, and in the power of education to make them come true.
Since 1985, the Foundation has worked with individuals, businesses and corporations to help students reach their educational goals by removing financial barriers.
In 2012, thanks to the generosity of our donors, more than 1,600 bursaries, scholarships and awards were distributed to Douglas College students. You can help by using the Donate NOW button or by calling 604-777-6176 and making a donation using your credit card.
Find out more:
Baj Puri, Chair of the Douglas College Foundation Board, and Paul Wates, Chair of the Douglas College Board, pose with the Douglas DO.
Gift of $1 million for students at Douglas
More than 1,000 future Douglas College students will benefit from a recent decision by the Douglas College Board to invest an additional $1 million in student aid. The money will be used to provide financial support to students who might otherwise not have the opportunity to pursue post-secondary education as well as to recognize academic excellence. The Douglas College Board Legacy Fund will provide up to $100,000 a year to students over 10 years, with 70 per cent allocated for bursaries and the remaining 30 per cent for scholarships.
Dr. Scott McAlpine, President of Douglas College, says the Board's decision to establish the Legacy Fund acknowledges the continued growth and development of the College, the increasing enrolment at Douglas and the need to increase access to post-secondary education, "British Columbia and Canada need more graduates from all types of institutions if we are to continue to remain competitive as an economy and advance as a society."
Community champions Rick Hickman and Ted Leung of The Co-operators strike a pose outside the agency on Northern Avenue next to Coquitlam Centre.
Coquitlam Co-operators Unwined
The Co-operators are lending a hand to Douglas College students in financial need. As sponsors of the fundraiser Unwined - Sip, Savour & Mingle, two Coquitlam agents, Ted Leung from the Sunwood Square location and Rick Hickman from the agency next to Coquitlam Centre, pledged their support for education in the Tri-Cities. Leung is deepening his connection with Douglas College having established a bursary last year in support of single parent students.
Unwined - Sip, Savour & Mingle was hosted by and at Coquitlam Centre to support student aid at Douglas College and through Coquitlam Foundation on May 4th. The event featured beers, wines, ciders and coolers along with tastings from a variety of local restaurants, as well as a silent auction, raffle prizes and live music.
L to R: Mark Trousdell, student recipient, Robert McGregor, Executive Director, Institute of Urban Ecology, Todd Harper, Biology Instructor and Student Research Days supervisor, Hazel Postma, Associate VP External Relations, Scott McAlpine, President of Douglas College, Kim Nielsen, Branch Manager, TD Bank on Columbia and 10th in New Westminster, Alia Romhanyi, student recipient, Mechele Bilton, Branch Manager, TD Bank in Brewery District, New Westminster, and Graeme Grier Lees, student recipient.
TD Supports Environmental Science Students at Douglas
Three outstanding Environmental Science students at Douglas College have been recognized for their hard work in completing their research projects in conjunction with the Institute of Urban Ecology. TD representatives Mechele Bilton and Kim Nielsen recently presented cheques to students Mark Trousdell, Alia Romhanyi and Graeme Lees in front of their peers at the annual Douglas College Student Research Days. TD established the TD Bank Financial Group Award of Distinction in Support of the Douglas College Institute of Urban Ecology in 2009. Awards are presented annually to students who demonstrate outstanding work in their directed studies courses in Environmental Science.